Friday, May 10, 2013

Beach hunt turns up a 1950 Florin - my first

Had a good east coast beach hunt this afternoon, very pleasant with light breeze and a cloudless sky! Was nice to have my wife with me too.

Found my first ever florin - 1950 - not silver - guess you have to start somewhere!
A pleasing find none the less, always good to unearth a bit of history.

The hunt was quite "junk" free, with just the odd pull tab.
Also found $4.50 spendable coins, a lead ball sinker, odd old decimals and an almost new adonised aluminum whistle which works a treat.
The whistle was buried under almost 7" of sand but the Xterra 705 picked it up very clearly.
Searched right at low tide for ages hoping for a gold ring, but had no signals at all. Still in this game you have to keep trying and not give up.

Great to be out in the sun again.

Here are my finds:




Till next time -
Cheers
Kevin

3 comments:

  1. Hope your next florin is silver Kevin.
    Your 705 has pulled 6 different metals there on the beach today so I reckon you would have had the gold too if it was there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris,
      Thanks for the encouragment.
      Detecting over sand is very different to detecting in parks. I feel like I am looking for a needle in a haystack, when I'm not even sure the needle exists!
      Great excuse to go to the beach tho' -
      Cheers
      Kevin

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete